What is baby constipation? How do you treat baby constipation? How to massage my baby’s tummy? Paediatric physiotherapist and osteopath in London at our practices in East London Moorgate EC2, Belgravia Westminster SW1 and Clapham SW4 or at your home in London
What is baby constipation?
Babies change a lot during their growth and development. One of the major changes is when babies are weaned off breast milk to go onto formula. Formula is harder to digest than breast milk and therefore can cause constipation. One of the main causes of constipation in babies is dehydration. When baby was on breast milk, he or she could get as much as they wanted and needed. Once on bottles, the feeding schedule is different and it is easier for baby to get dehydrated. The digestive system of your baby will need to adjust to those changes. Depending on the baby, the normal functions of the digestive system can take varying times to adapt, then once baby is on solid foods, bowel patterns change again. Changes can be anything from very frequent bowel movements to as little as once every couple of days.
Constipation in babies is distressing for both parents and child.
If you are an Axa or Bupa patient, you cannot book online. Please call our office with your authorisation number.
Signs of baby constipation
- Baby don’t want to eat
- Retching a little,
- Baby is crying before doing a poo or a tummy that is hard to the touch.
Physiotherapists and osteopaths in London, specialised and trained in paediatric physiotherapy and osteopathy in London at our practices in East London Moorgate EC2, Belgravia Westminster SW1 and Clapham SW4 or at your home in London
Our team of highly trained physiotherapists & osteopaths provide treatments at our practices in London:
- Light Centre Belgravia near Victoria Station: 9 Eccleston Street, SW1W 9LX
- Light Centre Moorgate near Moorgate, Monument& Liverpool Street: 114 London Wall, EC2M 5QA
- Make Me Feel Pharmacy Clapham between Clapham South & Clapham Common: 25 Abbeville Road, SW4 9LA
We also offer treatment at home for parents who cannot bring their babies to our clinic.
Our physiotherapy and osteopathy treatments are covered by most health insurancesand are Bupa registered& recognised (BUPA Globaland BUPA UK), Axa registered& recognised (AXA International, AXA PPP), Cigna registered& recognised and WPA registered & recognised
For home visit or practice Physiotherapy & Osteopathy treatment in London: 0207 125 0262 / 0782 455 3765
If you want to receive news and offers from us
How to treat baby constipation? Advice to treat baby constipation
There are different ways of treating constipation in babies.
- Move your baby’s legs in a gentle circular motion; this will help movement along the intestine.
- Make sure you are using the correct ratio when making formula and give baby plenty of water in between feeds to keep them hydrated.
- Massaging baby’s tummy is very helpful to get rid of constipation but it is important to learn how do it through a professional because every move must be done in a certain way. Massaging your baby is very soothing for both baby and parents as well as being a great bonding experience.
At Baby Physio, we offer baby massage carried out by professionals who will conduct the first massage and then teach you to do it by yourself
Baby Osteopathy in London
Our osteopaths are trained in paediatric osteopathy, and will do an assessment of your baby’s condition, give you advice about your baby routine and use osteopathy techniques.
What is osteopathy?
Osteopathy technique works with the structure and function of the body, and is based on the principle that the well-being of an individual depends on the skeleton, muscles, ligaments and connective tissues functioning smoothly together. Our paediatric osteopath will work on the baby’s body structure to help baby’s body’s own healing mechanisms. Ref: Gosc
Article by James Turgis Chartered Physiotherapy